Friday, October 1, 2010

Remembering the Moment

My son is approaching 2 years old. He has a little time still but in my mind it's pretty close. There are moments when I'm watching him run in the backyard, because he loves to run, and he gets to the bottom of the tiny hill and he laughs out loud. Or when he's pushing the little tykes car around and around the yard just because he can. It is at those times that I think to myself, I want to remember this moment forever. I realized yesterday that often after thinking that I do not give the moment a second thought and the memory is actually lost from my mind. I want to remember yesterday when out of nowhere in the car I said, "say it." referring to nothing in particular, and he said, "I.. love.. Mommy." I want to remember the moment today when he looked at me and said, "I.. am.. AWESOME!" He seriously amazes me everyday. He is so sweet. I know he will not always be the way he is now and I want to remember. It kills me when he goes to hug another child and they looked at him with a terrified expression and push him down. He then looks at me with a very confused look on his face that seems to ask, "why momma? What did I do wrong?" It's those moments when I want to take him and run, but instead I look him in the eyes and say something like, "you're ok bud. Hugs are good, you did nothing wrong. Be strong! Lets see your muscles!" and I give him a smile. I want him to know that even though he's been pushed down he can pick himself back up. It's hard though. I don't want him to learn how to fight, but I do want him to learn how to be strong. He really is AWESOME! He really amazes me and teaches me and brings me such joy. Don't get me wrong he is still a toddler, but I want to remember these amazingly sweet and pure moments of joy and love. I believe children are a gift from heaven.

1 comment:

Hayley Marie said...

Ah I love little Brad! I just can't believe he isn't going to always be little... it seems like just yesterday you were waiting for him to arrive! He is such a love and you are such a wonderful mommy! I'm glad you get to have such wonderful moments to cherish!